Wednesday 18 April 2018

April 18th Strumpshaw Fen

Peacock
Sunshine, glorious sunshine! Oh how I missed you! The sun is out and there's hardly a cloud in the sky. After last week's cloak of fog, it is nice to see the return of warm, bright rays of sunlight once again. With this warm weather, it appears that even more signs of spring have arrived to the reserve. Strumpshaw was alive with the buzzing of insects and the colours of butterflies and freshly bloomed flowers. There are still plenty of things that should be out now, but are missing due to the cold spell we've had in March. However, it still feels like we are just one step closer to summer.


Cowslip







Earlier this week, I happened to hear reports of a Savi's warbler singing at Strumpshaw. I decided to look for it via the Lackford Run end of the reserve. As soon as I hopped over the styles at the railway line, I was instantly greeted by the sound of what I thought was a Savi's reeling somewhere out in the reed beds. It sounded like it was a slight distance away, but the notes were still loud and clear. However, after asking Ben (one of Strumpshaw's wardens) to confirm if it was for me, he came back to tell me that it was just a grasshopper warbler. These are similar sounding birds, so it was easy for me (someone who has only heard a Savi's once) to get them mixed up. Still, it was nice to hear these secretive birds with their long winded song that resembles a fishing reel back again, even if it wasn't the bird I was after.








Willow Warbler
This morning was a bit of warbler fest as, along with the grasshopper warblers, I was able to see and hear at least six or seven other species. There were chiffchaffs and blackcaps in the woods, willow warblers along Sandy Wall, Cetti's, sedge and reed warblers in the reed beds and possibly a lesser whitethroat along the river trail, though I didn't quite get a good listen of it to be completely sure. Without doubt though, it were the willow warblers that really made my day. Their bright and cheerful song brings a sigh of relief that they have returned.



Chiffchaff
Dunnock
Common Lizard
The birdlife from Reception Hide started quite promisingly, but it soon dragged to a slightly sleepy scene. The broad still had its now regular cast of pochards and tufted ducks with a few gadwall, shoveler, mallards, Canada and greylag geese and a few pairs of nesting coot here and there, while the marsh harriers continued to sky dance with impressive yo-yo-like aerial displays and the odd swallow flew past for a brief visit to skim the water for a drink. Towards the end of my shift, a grey heron did pay us a visit at the front of the hide and Cobber the black swan along with his mute swan 'buddies' showed up to lounge about at the clearing on the far end of the broad. My highlight, though, was not a bird, but a lizard basking in the sun on a stump right in front of the hide for a few minutes. I bet many people wish they were that lizard right now. Lying around soaking up the rays, enjoying this lovely warm day.
Shoveler
Gadwall
Male Pochard
Female Pochard
Mallard
Greylag
Canada Goose
Tufted Duck
Marsh Harrier
Grey Heron

No comments:

Post a Comment