Saturday 27 January 2018

Jan 27th Norwich


Only a Blackbird at Barbara's garden this morning
It is day one of the RSPB's annual Big Garden Bird Watch Weekend and this morning, I have been round my Aunt Barbara's and my parent's houses to do two separate surveys of the garden birds visiting their gardens. First up was my Aunt's garden. Unfortunately, it wasn't a very successful count. Within the hour of the survey (10am - 11am), only a single blackbird showed up. There were plenty of woodpigeons, jackdaws and blue and great tits around and I could hear robins, starlings and greenfinches, but I could not count any of them as they were just beyond the boundaries of the garden. It was a complete failure.








My Parent's garden was more successful
The first survey may have been a disappointment, but the morning wasn't over yet and I went round my parent's house to do the second survey. This second hour (starting at 11:15am) was quite an improvement to the one at Barbara's place. Mum and I managed to record 2 blackbirds, 2 blue tits, 2 great tits, 2 dunnocks, 1 robin and 1 woodpigeon. There could well have been more blue and great tits, but I was only able to count 2 of each visiting the garden at one given time. Compared to previous years, it appears the numbers have gone down and I was extremely surprised and slightly concerned on the lack of finches and sparrow today.

Blue Tit
Blackbird
Dunnock
Great Tit

No comments:

Post a Comment