Monday 23 October 2017

Oct 23rd Minsmere


Common Snipe
I was at Minsmere today. The weather was more or less perfect say for just a very little sprinkle of rain during the afternoon, but not enough to soak our clothes. After all the wild stormy conditions of last week, it would be interesting if anything of interest had turned up here. There wasn't anything out of the ordinary written on the sightings board this morning, but there was apparently a jack snipe at the east scrape. So I decided to check it out first. However, when we got there, the only snipe I could find was a common one. I believe whoever reported about the jack snipe made a mistake. This is easy to do as they do look rather similar. But still, this common snipe was extremely close to the East Hide, like a few metres in front of it. This bird became rather popular amongst visitors once I pointed it out for them.
Goosanders
The scrapes seemed to be the best place to see birds today at Minsmere. There seemed to be more ducks than anything else. This included wigeon, mallards, shovelers, teals, shelducks, gadwalls and two short-staying goosanders, which I saw arriving to the far back of the scrapes for a few minutes before flying off again. I also saw avocets, black-tailed godwits, redshanks, great black-backed gulls, herring gulls and I heard a kingfisher, a flock of bearded tits and Cetti's warblers. Elsewhere today, I saw a great spotted woodpecker, plenty of coal tits, a couple of marsh harriers from Bittern Hide and a muntjac deer in the woods.
Teal

Wigeon and a Teal
Shelduck
Avocet
Redshank












Moorhens
Chaffinch
Coal Tit
Parasol
Muntjac Deer

No comments:

Post a Comment